iOS developer — 26 Awesome resources for beginners
So you’ve decided to jump head-long into iOS app development? Well let us help you out with a set of awesome resources that will hopefully boost productivity.
Your starting point for iOS development should be with Apple:
- A Free Book from Apple called The Swift Programming Language.
- WWDC Videos. A nice place to start to hear the latest and greatest from Apple.
Blogs, Podcasts & Courses
An assortment of great blogs, podcasts and institutional courses you should check out.
- iTunes Course on Swift by Stanford | An absolutely awesome complete course from Stanford University, totally free.
- https://medium.com/ios-geek-community | A great new blog by Bob Lee. Some great starter tutorials in there.
- https://www.raywenderlich.com/category/ios | One of the oldest and best known tutorial sites, Ray has an absolutely huge collection of tutorials. Definitely check it out.
- https://talk.objc.io/ | A weekly video series on Swift Programming.
- http://www.appcoda.com/ | Appcoda have a ton of great tutorials and a great set of books for beginners and intermediates.
- http://nsscreencast.com/episodes | NSScreencast have what they call ‘Weekly bite-sized screencasts on iOS development.’ There’s a ton of free screencasts available as well.
- https://thinkster.io/a-better-way-to-learn-swift | A great one if you’re totally new to Swift.
If you’re looking for places where you can pay and get something a little more commercial grade.
- https://www.udemy.com/swift-3-learn-to-code-with-apples-new-language/ | Nick has a great set of courses on Swift and a ton of great feedback. You can search through the rest of Udemy to find courses from a huge range of other instructors as well.
- https://www.codeschool.com/courses/app-evolution-with-swift | Code School have a monthly plan of $29 giving you access to a huge range of courses on loads of different topics.
- https://designcode.io/ | If you’re a designer that’s looking to get into App development, this is the perfect introductory course by Meng To
Highly recommended list of newsletters that I think you should sign up to. They’re all a great collection of tips, news, advice and info.
- http://nshipster.com/ | A great weekly newsletter that regularly brings you great tips on Swift and Objective-C development.
- https://iosdevweekly.com/ | A hand curated list of great development tools and services, sent…weekly.
- https://swiftnews.curated.co/ | An excellent weekly newsletter of all things Swift, curated by Natasha
- https://releasenotes.tv/ | A nice monthly newsletter targeting the indie developer community.
- http://ios-goodies.com/ | A nice, simple weekly curated newsletter of Articles, Tools and UX news.
Some awesome tweeps to follow.
Some other sites to make a note of.
- http://stackoverflow.com/ | You’re definitely going to need this one. When you’re stuck on an issue, there’s almost certainly someone who’s already asked the question and found the answer on SO.
- https://github.com/trending/swift | You can find a ton of great open source repo’s from developers out there. Take a look and be inspired to learn by example.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/swift/ | The Swift subreddit has a huge following and can be a great resource for learning.
You can also find me on Twitter 🙂